While it may present cybersecurity risks that should not be taken lightly, and there are still challenges to overcome, the benefits of the Internet of Medical Things (IoMT) are becoming more apparent. Not only do they make life easier for patients, but they also allow professionals to provide more personalized and timely care. Among the main benefits of IoMT, we can find:
- Real time monitoring. It can save lives in the event of a medical emergency, such as heart failure, a severe asthma attack, or a sudden spike in blood glucose. By connecting to apps installed on smartphones, the devices can collect and transmit data such as blood pressure, blood oxygen, weight, and electrocardiograms. The data is stored in the cloud and can be accessed only by authorized persons and entities, such as a doctor, insurance company, health firm, or external consultant.
- Workflow automation is another benefit of IoMT in healthcare, which in turn improves the patient experience. Through mobile solutions that allow interoperability and machine-to-machine communication, data exchange and processing is improved, which can make the provision of health services very profitable. It makes it viable, for example, to reduce costs by eliminating unnecessary patient visits to clinics and hospitals, which allows for better resource allocation and planning.
- Data management and analysis. Getting value from the data generated in the healthcare industry is complex. With the use of IoMT, data can be analyzed, segregated automatically and incorporated into the electronic clinical record. This reduces raw data collection and drives data-driven care. Ultimately, this IoMT application reduces errors and speeds up decision making.
- Monitoring and alerts. Proper monitoring, analysis and diagnosis of critically ill patients is another benefit of IoMT. Smart devices favor practical treatments, with greater precision and adequate intervention by doctors, with the consequent improvement in the results obtained in patient care.
- Remote assistance. The difficulty in accessing a doctor is devastating for patients, particularly those living in remote locations. Thanks to the inherent mobility of IoMT, it is possible to provide care through telehealth consultations. It may even happen that a doctor is in a different city and issues electronic prescriptions so that the patient can purchase the medicines in local pharmacies.
There is still a long way to go. ICT-driven innovation in healthcare will continue to transform the practice of medicine and make life easier for patients as more and more patients are enjoying the benefits of IoMT. Because of that, development companies are really relevant in our modern world.
It is known that hospitals in the world every day have more technological systems that include remote monitoring of patients, insulin pumps, medication management, etc., all connected to the technological infrastructure of the hospital. The idea of IoMT is to generate a health ecosystem interconnected with all these devices and technological platforms, and this is where mobile applications play a fundamental role.
These mobile applications developed for IoMT in many cases, either directly or indirectly, are managing hospital infrastructure devices and systems, both inside hospitals and externally. These ‘Apps’ begin to execute actions or make decisions based on data, within a health infrastructure because they will remain connected with smart watches, patient bracelets, asthma inhaler monitoring, urology sensors, etc.
With the implementation of IoMT devices and their applications in various facilities around the world, we are facing new challenges for both the administrators themselves and manufacturers, as more threats will appear.
Other challenges to address are related to the standardization of these devices and the communication protocols, which are diverse and are already implemented in healthcare technology environments. Therefore, the security challenges in the applicability of IoMT are challenging and we should start paying attention to them as a potential risk that attackers want to take full advantage of.
It is important to mention that in any industry, and healthcare is no exception, you must continually search for failures, analyze your security and implement new security controls, since technology changes rapidly and, therefore, the way to protect it.
In this sense, IoMT development companies play a fundamental role as they help clinics and doctors to improve health, and also protect people in relation to keeping their personal data safe.